Medical marijuana is marijuana used to treat disease or relieve symptoms. Marijuana is made from the dried leaves and buds of the Cannabis sativa plant. It can be inhaled, ingested, or used as a topical cream.
When is medical marijuana appropriate?
Studies report that marijuana has possible benefits for several conditions:
- Crohn’s disease
- Epilepsy or seizures
- Parkinson’s disease
- Multiple sclerosis or severe muscle spasms
- Terminal illness
- Non-malignant chronic pain related to an above condition
- A condition in a similar class to an above condition
Dr. James Weiner may consider medical marijuana as an option if other treatments have not helped. Further, this may provide a safer and more effective alternative to other prescription medications.
Is medical marijuana safe?
Further study is needed to answer this question, but possible short and long-term risks of using marijuana to treat medical conditions include: Note most side effects are related to high THC preparations and not the high CBD formulations.
- Addiction, which occurs in about 10 percent of users who start smoking marijuana before age 25
- Impaired concentration and memory
- Increased heart rate
- Increased risk of heart attack or stroke
- Mental illness in people with a tendency toward it
- Negative drug-to-drug interactions
- Slower reaction times
- Withdrawal symptoms
What you can expect
Medical marijuana comes in a variety of forms, including:
- Vaporized liquid
- Nasal spray
- Please note that smoking is not legal in the State of Florida
After you have been certified by your physician you will receive an email from the state of Florida that you have been enrolled in the Medical Use Registry. you cannot make your initial purchase until you have been emailed your temporary card by the state. At your initial visit, your doctor will also register your prescription with the registry. Once you have the product, you administer it yourself. how often you use it depends on its form and your symptoms. Dr. James Weiner, your pain specialists will provide you guidance on the formulation and dosing that best suits your individual needs,
Some medical marijuana is formulated to provide symptom relief without the intoxicating, mood-altering effects associated with recreational use of marijuana.