When you suffer from chronic pain, you want to find lasting relief. Certain exercises or medications may give you temporary respite, but then you still wake up in the middle of the night with an ache in your upper back or shoulders. You can’t find a comfortable position to sleep in, and you can’t find a comfortable way to sit either.
Since you can’t sleep, you lack the focus to perform well at work, and since you can’t sit comfortably, your pain further compromises your productivity. You don’t want this to be your life, so you’ve come to the internet looking for answers to your chronic pain.
You could have constant upper back or shoulder pain for a number of reasons. Below, we’ve given you a guide to common causes and solutions for your aches and discomfort.
Causes of Upper Back and Shoulder Pain
You’ll often experience pain in these two areas at once because all their muscles, tendons, and bones connect together. If you experience pain in these areas, it could happen for a number of reasons.
- Exercising incorrectly. This could put strain on your muscles. You may experience pain after repetitive exercises or after you lift something too heavy for you.
- Not getting enough exercise. This weakens your back and shoulder muscles, causing them to move unnaturally and strain.
- Being overweight. This also weakens and put strain on your muscles.
- Sitting for too long. Your body needs to move to maintain its strength. Prolonged periods of sitting could make your muscles start to atrophy.
- Having incorrect posture. This forces your back and shoulder muscles to move incorrectly and strengthen in unnatural ways, which could strain them.
- Getting hit. This could damage your back and shoulder muscles.